Full disclosure: I'm not a vegetarian. In fact, I indulged in a hot dog at Oriole Park at Camden Yards on Sunday. It was really good.
But, I often make an effort reduce my meat intake, mostly as a way to increase my vegetable intake.
This week is Vegetarian Week, widely celebrated in Britain for years, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to highlight some of my favorite places to grab a vegetarian meal in Catonsville.
1. Grilled Cheese and Co. Most of you regular readers know I live right around the corner, so I am a regular at the Edmondson Avenue eatery. To keep it on the healthy side, I order the vegetarian delight sandwich with sweet potato fries. The restaurant also has good salads. On Monday I tried a new special: the asparagus and feta salad. It was delicious.
2. Six Mile Coffee. The Frederick Road coffee shop has been open for less than a year and I've spent a lot of time doing work there. In addition to good coffee, the shop whips up a great soup every day that is often vegetarian or vegan. The shop often posts the soup on Facebook in case you want to know what's on the menu ahead of time.
3. Atwater's. At the other end of Frederick Road is another great place for a vegetarian meal along with your cup of coffee. I'm absolutely in love with their Tiffin box lunches and almost always go with the vegetarian soup option. Who knew you could include cauliflower in so many different soups and have it taste amazing?
4. . It's pretty easy to find a vegetarian option at an Indian restaurant, but the food at Indian Delight is so good and such a great value. It's a place I like to go when I want a low-key dinner on a weekend.
5. Peace A Pizza. Another new restaurant in Catonsville is slowly building a name for itself. What I like about this pizza is the chef doesn't skimp on the toppings. There is even a section on the menu for gourmet veggie pizza, which is fine with me. Any time you can get arugula or eggplant on pizza, I say go for it.