Thanksgiving should be a happy time, so BGE offers tips to make it safe.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), cooking fires rank first as main cause of fires in a home and related injuries, and many people cook for this holiday.
Keep cooking safe by:
- Staying in the kitching while frying, broiling or grilling food, and turn off the stove if you need to leave the kitchen.
- Checking on food while it's cooking
- Staying in the house while food is cooking
- Using a timer
- Moving anything away from the stovetop that could catch fire
- Not using outdoor, gas-fueled turkey fryers which cover the turkey in hot oil, because they can cause burns and other problems. Get them cooked professionally instead
- Keeping deep fryers at least 10 feet away from a building, and have a fire extinguisher nearby.
If something does catch fire, call 911 or the local emergency number from outside the home and make sure you and your family and guests get out.