Prim and Proper Second Graders Pose for Picture
The entire public school population fit in one building at the turn of the 20th century.
There was a time when the entire second grade for all of Catonsville numbered a mere 31 students. Seems hard to believe. In this photo, c. 1902, the second grade class is lined up outside of the public school located on Winters Lane.
John Gittings donated a lot on Winters Lane near Melrose Avenue where a one-story building was erected in 1878, added to an 1859 frame schoolhouse. It was enlarged to a three-story brick building in 1898. The following year, a four-year high school program began in the same building, with its first graduating class in 1903. The building remained in use as a public school until 1910, when a new school was built on Frederick Road near Bloomsbury Avenue.
St. Mark’s Catholic School began using the building for classrooms in 1918 and continued to do so until 1979. Nearly a decade later, the building began new life when ReVisions Behavioral Health System renovated it in 1988.
This class photo is unusual in that it has a hand-written notation on back that provided the names of all the students, except one. There are many familiar Catonsville names on this roster.
First row, left to right: Kenneth Peddicord, Andrew Ruff, Louise Heidlebach, Margaret Espey, Helen Renn, Irene Seicke, Elva Seicke, Emma Balwin, Elizabeth Schuffele, Sarah Marsden, Eva McAleer.
Second row, left to right: William Shuffele, Lawrence Timanus, Carl Heinmiller, Solomon Rogers, Dora Rannenberg, Mary Wagner, Marie Leimbach, Mary Miller, Helen Adams, Esther Seicke, Jenny Peters, Clara Garber and teacher, Katherine Nagle.
Third row, left to right: teacher, Margaret Molesworth; Victor Bloede, Gustav Lentz, Henry McKinnel, Andrew Whitney, Edwin Warfield, unidentified boy, Francis Tuel and Edgar Montell.
Note that three of the students bear the surname Seicke. The Seicke family owned and operated the French Confectionery and adjacent Ice Cream Manufactory at 624 and 622 Frederick Road. (That building was featured in the first “Picture This” column on June 28, 2011.)
Thanks go to Bryce Rumbles, librarian at the Catonsville Branch, and Lisa Vicari, Catonsville Room volunteer and board member, Friends of the Catonsville Library, for their research assistance. Anyone interested in ordering digital reprints of any of the historical images featured in this series, should contact Bryce Rumbles at firstname.lastname@example.org.