Police released the following tips on Friday afternoon:
- Lock all windows and doors. Start from the top of your home and work your way down. Don’t forget the basement.
- Secure all outdoor furniture or better yet, place it in a garage, shed or basement. This also includes outdoor grills.
- Lock sheds and garages.
- Set light timers both inside and out. The sun goes down around 8:00 p.m. so why not set the timer for 7:30 p.m. And if the weather looks a little iffy, set the timer for an earlier time.
- Have a neighbor take in your mail and newspaper. Newspapers littering the front yard are a sure way to tell the world you are away.
- Leave an address or phone number with a neighbor or relative so you can be reached in case of emergency.
- Do not announce your travel plans on social media. Talk about your trip when you return.
Share additional safety and crime prevention tips in the comments.