As county officials and business leaders work together to improve public parking, figures show that Catonsville meters collect the second largest amount of money after Towson.
Wayne Mixdorf, director of parking for Baltimore County, provided the total amount of revenue collected at all Baltimore County meters for the 2011 fiscal year.
The rankings are as follows:
- Catonsville (93 meters): $47,708.60
- Essex (119 meters): $31,577.40
- Parkville (125 meters): $19,710.99
- Stoneleigh (64 meters): $15,687.23
- Pikesville (134 meters): $9,742.00
- Baynesville (22 meters): $5,141.61
- Dundalk (43 meters): $4,577.32
- Overlea (25 meters): $1,731.80
While Essex has more meters than Catonsville, the meters at Catonsville collect more money overall. All of the following areas have meters that are 50 cents an hour.
By comparison, Baltimore County collects $753,232.62 Towson for 624 metered spaces on Towson streets at $1 an hour.
County officials and officials with the Catonsville Chamber of Commerce have said that they are looking at expanding the number of meters and added meters that will allow for credit cards, but no changes have been made as of yet.